The long awaited return of one of the most memorable matches in WCW history, War Games, was always going to be huge but NXT has managed to find 9 men capable of causing the most carnage possible and it main events this Saturday’s NXT Takeover: War Games.
SAnitY are a current NXT Tag Team Champions and a group built on chaos led by the insane Eric Young. Backed by Killian Dain and Alexandre Wolfe, they have been out for the blood of the Undisputed Era since Kyle O’Reilly and Bobby Fish laid them out after their title win and will get their chance to go head to head with their old rivals AOP and UE here. Lets not forget the wildcard Nicki Cross who will try and find any way to help out her stable in any way she can.
Authors of Pain and Roderick Strong is a strange union but have a common enemy in UE, as well as AOP certainly wanting revenge against SAnitY for taking their tag team titles. After disappearing after their titles loss, they made their presence felt by laying out SAnitY and the former reDRagon at the end of their tag title match, adding their brand of chaos to the mix. Strong will be out to get UE after his former friends (and former Ring of Honor workmates) tried to sway him to the dark side and failed – he will have a big target on his back as his former friends will be out to get him, as well as the fact he is the only man without any true allies in this match.
Last but certainly not least, we have The Undisputed Era of Bobby Fish, Kyle O’Reilly and the big star and Takeover debutante Adam Cole. After Fish and O’Reilly shocked the NXT audience at the end of the tag match, Cole once again shocked the audience debuting in NXT to much fanfare as the hottest free agent in the US, laying out NXT champion Drew Galloway at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III and announcing his arrival in a move that changed NXT forever. UE have managed to escape every time their opponents have been on the verge of gaining retribution, while also agitating their opponents leading to brawl after brawl on NXT TV.
This rivalry has dominated NXT since Takeover: Brooklyn III, often ending in uncontrollable brawls involving UE, SAnitY and AOP – NXT GM William Regal realized that he would need to take drastic measures to let these men face off without them getting out of control. His solution? To bring back War Games for the first time in 17 years and for the first time ever in a WWE ring.
War Games is the only stipulation out there that could cage the monstrous men inside and allow these 9 men to kill each other and prove once and for all who is the best and what faction rules NXT.
Prediction: This is clearly going to be the Adam Cole era of NXT and I expect it to be a very long time before we see anyone get a clean win over him so I expect the Undisputed Era to find a way to defeat their opponents and walk away with the victory here.
The Rules for this Saturday’s War Games match, per WWE’s official website:
The rules of the match are as follows:
- The three-member teams of SAnitY (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe & Killian Dain), Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole, Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly), and The Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) & Roderick Strong will wage war inside a massive steel cage that surrounds TWO rings.
- All three teams will be contained inside separate shark cages by the entranceway, with a member from each team (as chosen by his respective squad) starting the match.
- After five minutes, the remaining members from one team will be released from their shark cage and allowed to enter the match.
- When another three-minute period elapses, the remaining members from a second team are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Following another three-minute period, the final team’s members are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Once all three teams have entered the WarGames Match, a victory can be attained via pinfall or submission.